Spread Footing Design Workflow Process
Spread footing can be classified as wall and column footings. (Darwin 2021)
Figure 1 illustrates the design workflow process, which the SkyCiv Foundation adapts workflow process. Wherein these checks such as (1) Soil Bearing, (2) Shear, (3) Flexural, (4) Development Length, and (5) Stability Checks are important parameters are required to satisfy the result without exceeding a value of 1.00 in the Demand-Capacity Ratio or DCR.
Figure 1: Workflow of SkyCiv Foundation.
Design Checks Adjustment
This article explains the primary adjustment when the SkyCiv Foundation Users encounter this failure check.
- Soil Bearing Check is mainly influenced by the spread footing dimension which is subjected by the superstructure (unfactored) loads and allowable soil pressure.
- Shear Check is mainly influencing the depth of the spread footing where the spread footing performs one-way and two-way checks.
- Flexural Check is mainly influenced the reinforcement schedule of the spread footing.
- Development Length Check and
- Stability Checks are mainly influenced by the spread footing dimensions.
Based on the information above, those adjustments will increase design capacity per checks of the spread footing.
Please take note, that some parameters such as materials strength, factor, and subjected loads are also part of increased design capacity influence.
Design Code Modules
the SkyCiv Foundation have this currently available design codes:
- American code (click here for the detailed discussion of the design codes)
- Australian code (click here for the detailed discussion of the design codes)
- Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318-14) Commentary on Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318R-14). American Concrete Institute, 2014.
- McCormac, Jack C., and Russell H. Brown. Design of Reinforced Concrete ACI 318-11 Code Edition. Wiley, 2014.
- Taylor, Andrew, et al. The Reinforced Concrete Design Handbook: a Companion to ACI-318-14. American Concrete Institute, 2015.
- Darwin, David and Dolan, Charles. Design of Concrete Structures 16 Edition. McGrawHill, 2021.
Try SkyCiv Footing Calculator For Free:
Albert Pamonag, M.Eng
Structural Engineer, Product Development